|DodgeRam.info > TSB's > 18-10-95|
|Visit Geno's Garage
for Truck accessories.
Date: Mar. 31, 1995
Models: 1994-1995 (BR) Ram Truck
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A V10 (8.0L) ENGINE WITH AN ENGINE BUILD DATE EARLIER THAN JAN 16, 1995.
A whistling noise and/or higher than normal idle my be experienced.
1. At idle, listen for a whistling type noise, then determine if a high idle is present.
2. Inspect the current intake manifold gasket. If the gasket is the new style gasket, the black gasket material can be seen on the front inside edge of the manifold. If the old style gasket is installed, the gray gasket material will not be visible (See Figure 1).
1 4856139 Gasket Pkg - Intake Manifold
It is only necessary to order the above package. The Intake Gasket Package
includes the following parts, and are listed below are for reference only.
|1||53041028||End Seal, Rear|
|1||53006838||End Seal, Front|
|1||53006836||Upper to Lower Manifold Gasket|
|2||53030862||Intake Manifold to Cyl. Gasket|
|1||53030867||Air Cleaner Gasket|
|1||53041120||Throttle Body Gasket|
|1||52127788||Fuel Line Secondary Clip|
|1||53010000||EGR Tube Gasket|
This bulletin involves the replacement of both intake manifold gaskets.
1. Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.
2. Drain the cooling system and save the coolant (Refer to Group 7, 1994 Service Manual, Publication No. 81-370-4108, Page 7-36, or 1995 Service Manual, Publication NO. 81-370-5108, Page 7-38).
3. Remove the accessory drive belt (Refer to Group 7, 1994 Ram Truck Service Manual, Publication No. 81-370-4108, Page 7-51, or 1995 Ram Truck Service Manual, Publication No. 81-370-5108, Page 7-54).
4. Remove the generator brace and generator.
5. Remove the A/C compressor brace. Remove the compressor and set aside.
6. Remove the air cleaner cover and filter. Remove the air cleaner housing. Discard the air cleaner gasket.
7. Perform the Fuel System Pressure Release Procedure (Refer to Group 14, 1994 Ram Truck Service Manual, Publication No. 81-370-4108, Page 14-6, or 1995 Ram Truck Service Manual, Publication No. 81-370-5108, Page 14-5. Disconnect the fuel lines.
8. Disconnect the accelerator linkage, and if so equipped, the speed control and transmission kick-down cables.
9. Remove the coil assemblies with the ignition cables.
10. Disconnect the vacuum lines.
11. Disconnect the heater hoses and bypass hose.
12. Remove the closed crankcase ventilation and evaporation control systems.
13. Remove the throttle body bolts and lift the throttle body off the upper intake manifold (See Figure 2). Discard the gasket.
14. Remove the ten front upper intake manifold bolts (See Figure 2).
15. Retain the 3 rear bolts in the up position with tape or rubber bands.
16. Lift the upper intake manifold out of the engine compartment. Discard the gasket.
17. Remove the 14 lower intake manifold bolts and remove the manifold (see Figure 3).
18. Discard the lower intake manifold gaskets.
19. Clean intake manifolds in solvent and blow dry with compressed air. Clean cylinder block front and rear gasket surfaces using a suitable solvent (Mopar Brake Parts Cleaner - P/N 4318037).
20. Inspect manifolds for cracks. Inspect rating surfaces of the manifolds for flatness with a straightedge.
21. Install the intake manifold side gaskets. Be sure that the locator dowels are positioned in the head (See Figure 4).
NOTE: Be sure the block is free of oil.
22. Peel off the protective paper (blue - rear and brown - front) and press firmly onto the block. Align slots in end seals with notches in intake manifold gaskets (See Figure 5).
23. Apply Mopar Silicone Rubber Adhesive Sealant, P/N 4318025, into the four corner pockets. Fill the pocket , but Do NOT overfill.
CAUTION: THE LOWER INTAKE MANIFOLD MUST BE INSTALLED WITHIN 3 MINUTES OF SEALANT APPLICATION.
24. Carefully lower intake manifold into position on the cylinder block and heads. After intake manifold is in place, inspect to make sure seals and gaskets are in place. Finger start all the lower bolts.
25. Tighten the lower intake manifold bolts in sequence to 54 Nm (40 ft. lbs.) torque. Refer to Figure 3, begin with bolt numbered one (1).
26. Using a new gasket, position the upper intake manifold onto the lower intake manifold.
27. Finger start all bolts, alternate one side to the other.
23. Tighten upper intake manifold bolts in sequence to 22 Nm (16 ft. lbs.) torque. Refer to Figure 2, begin with bolt numbered one (1).
29. Using a new gasket, install the throttle body onto the upper intake manifold. Tighten the bolts to 23 Nm (200 in. lbs.) torque.
30. Install closed crankcase ventilation and evaporation control systems.
31. Connect the heater hoses and bypass hose.
32. Connect the vacuum lines.
33. Install the coil assemblies and the ignition cables.
34. Connect the accelerator linkage and if so equipped, the speed control and transmission kick-down cables.
35. Install the fuel lines.
36. Using a new gasket, install the air cleaner housing. Tighten the nuts to 11 Nm (96 in. lbs.) torque. Install the air cleaner filter and cover.
37. Install the A/C compressor. Position the compressor brace and install the bolts. Tighten the brace bolts to 41 Nm (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
38. Install the generator. Position the generator brace and install the bolts. Tighten the brace bolts to 41 Nm (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
39. Install the accessory drive belt. Refer to Group 7 in appropriate Service Manual referenced in Step 3.
40. Fill cooling system. Refer to Group 7 in appropriate Service Manual.
41. Connect the negative cable to the battery.
Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
|Labor Operation No:|
|09-50-10-90||Gasket, Two Piece Intake Manifold lower - Replace||2.7 Hrs.|
|09-50-10-60||(Air Conditioning Equipped)||0.3 H rs.|
Failure Code: P8 - New Part
Thanks to Barry Drodge for supplying this TSB information
This page was edited on: May 3, 2004