|DodgeRam.info > TSB's > 18-006-03|
|Visit Geno's Garage
for Truck accessories.
Date: Feb 28, 2003
This bulletin supersedes TSB 18-002-01 dated Jan 26, 2001.
This bulletin is being provided in advance. THE TechCONNECT/MDS2 MUST BE OPERATING WITH CIS CD2128 OR HIGHER, AVAILABLE MARCH 17, 2003.
Models: 2000 (BR/BE) Ram Pickup
2000 (AB) Ram Van
2000 (AN) Dakota
2000 (BR/BE) Ram Pickup
2000 (DN) Durango
Note: This ulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 3.9L (EHC), 5.2L (ELF), or 5.9L Light Duty (EML) gasoline engine. See the two tables below for specific applications and exclusions.
|AB||ALL||A3 / A4||Fed and Calif|
|AN||3.9L||A4 / M5||Fed and Calif|
|BR/BE||3.9L||A4 / M5||Fed and Calif|
|BR/BE||5.2L||A4 / M5||Fed and Calif|
|BR/BE||5.9L||A4 / M5||Fed and Calif|
|DN||5.2L||A4||Fed and Calif|
|DN R/T||5.9L||A4||Calif Only|
|DN R/T||5.9L||A4||Fed Only|
|Legend:||A3 = 3 speed automatic trans.||A4 = 4 speed automatic trans.||M53 = 5 speed manual trans.|
Note: The following emission packages are not approved and are excluded from this bulletin. The PCM calibration of any excluded vehicle is not to be programmed for a spark knock complaint. Before attempting a reprogramming session inspect the type of vehicle and engine for possible exclusion.
|VEHICLE||TYPE BODY||ENG / TRANS / EMISS|
|AN||Regular Cab||2.5L / M5 / Fed and Calif|
|BR/BE||ALL||5.9L Heavy Duty (EMM - Sales Code)|
|BR/BE||ALL||8.0L (EWA - Sales Code)|
|BR/BE||3500 Series||5.9L Light Duty / A4 or M5 / Calif|
|BR/BE||3500 Cab-Chassis Series||5.9L Light Duty / A4 or M5 / Calif|
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.
Some vehicle engines may exhibit a light-to-moderate spark knock condition during acceleration (under load).
1. Using a Scan Tool (DRBIII) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures Manual, verify all engine systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs are present other than those listed above, record them on the repair order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
2. Verify that the following NOTES have been reviewed and completed as necessary.
3. Verify that the engine coolant contains the correct mixture of a quality antifreeze to water. The coolant mixture should consist of 44% to 68% antifreeze.
4. If the only condition seen is the light-to-moderate engine spark knock, perform the Repair Procedure.
NOTE: WHEN PULLING A HEAVY LOAD OR DRIVING A FULLY LOADED VEHICLE USE A PREMIUM UNLEADED FUEL TO HELP MINIMIZE SPARK KNOCK.
NOTE: WHENEVER A POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE IS REPLACED DUE TO FAILURE, THE SOFTWARE OF THE REPLACEMENT CONTROLLER MUST BE VERIFIED FOR THE LATEST REVISION LEVEL. USE THE FLASH PROCEDURE TO UPDATE REPLACED CONTROLLERS AS NECESSARY.
|CH6000||Scan Tool (DRB III)|
|CH7035||General Purpose Interface Bus Cable (GPIB)|
|1||04669020||Label, Authorized Software Update|
|1||04275086AB||Label, Authorized Modification|
1. Connect the battery to a charger and set as close to 14 volts charge as possible.
2. Flash the controller using the TechCONNECT/MDS2 and DRBIII.
NOTE: DUE TO THE PCM REPROGRAMMING PROCEDURE, A DTC MAY BE SET IN OTHER MODULES (TCM, BCM, MIC, SKIM, ETC.) WITHIN THE VEHICLE, IF SO EQUIPPED. SOME DTC'S MAY CAUSE THE MIL TO ILLUMINATE. ALL DTC'S RELATE TO A LOSS OF COMMUNICATIONS WITH THE MODULE THAT IS BEING REPROGRAMMED. CHECK ALL MODULES, RECORD THE FAULTS, AND ERASE THESE FAULTS PRIOR TO RETURNING THE VEHICLE TO THE CUSTOMER. ERASE ANY FAULTS IN THE PCM ONLY AFTER ALL OTHER MODULES HAVE HAD THEIR FAULTS ERASED.
NOTE: THE FOLLOWING STEPS ARE REQUIRED BY LAW.
|3. Type the necessary information on the "Authorized Software Update Label" p/n 04669020 (Figure 1). Attach the label to the PCM and cover the label with the clear plastic overlay.|
4. Type the following information on the "Authorized Modification Label" P/N 04275086AB and attach the label near the VECI label (Fig 2).
|1 - POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE P/N (INSERT P/N) USED
2 - CHANGE AUTHORITY: TSB XX-XX-XX
3 - DEALER CODE: XXXXX
4 - DATE: XX-XX-XX
5. Perform Powertrain Verification Test VER-5 as outlined in the information available in TechCONNECT/MDS2, or the appropriate Powertrain Diagnostic Procedures Manual.
Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
Labor Operation No: 08-19-42-91 Preprogram Powertrain Control Module ....................0.5 Hrs.
Failure Code: FM - Flash Module
I would like to thank Bob Bergevin, Arthur Cantrall, Barry Drodge, David Lovell, Bill Maurits, and Steve for supplying the information for these bulletins. And a big thank you goes to Geno's Garage for making DodgeRam.info possible.
This page was edited on: May 3, 2004